Teetering

always on the brink, trying never to show it...

Monday, January 16, 2006

I need the orange

My four-year-old daughter has had a bout of the croup and is now at the tail end of it. She has a mild cold. So last night and tonight we gave her some cough/cold medicine--nighttime kind, with an antihistamine in it. She can't stand the taste of it and continually lobbies for the "orange" medicine--plain old ibuprofen, which does nothing for the stuffy nose and mild cough...So this was our conversation before bed this evening...

Daughter: I'm still sick you know.

Me: I know. We should give you your medicine now before you go to bed.

Daughter (trotting behind me down the hall to the kitchen): But I only want the orange medicine. No red.

Me: Go ask Daddy what he thinks.

I hand her the "red" medicine and quickly run down the hall behind her, then stand behind her and mouth "THIS one" to my husband.

Daughter: Daddy, I need the orange medicine.

She hands him the red medicine, the one she doesn't want as she says this.

Daddy: Let me see...this says...If you are coughing and you are four years old--How old are you again?

Daughter, not missing a beat: 90

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home